Congregation Beth Israel traces its roots in Asheville back to 1899, when a handful of families founded Orthodox congregation Bikur Cholim. In 1951 the congregation affiliated with the Conservative movement and changed its name to Beth Israel. Originally located on Liberty Street, the congregation moved to its current building on Murdock Ave. in 1969.
Today, Congregation Beth Israel numbers 150 diverse households from all across Western North Carolina. Our congregation is bucking the national trend by growing younger as many families with children join our ranks. We are a participatory congregation that encourages members to teach and learn.
The picture below is from our Winter 2013 Congregation Meeting.