The annual CBI Labor Day Rummage Sale has become an Asheville-wide community event and a major fundraiser for CBI. It's also a great opportunity for us to come together AND clean out our closets in the process. Each year, we ask families to scour their homes in order to contribute gently used stuff:
- Craft supplies
- Children's goods
- Clothing (still-in-style)
All donations are tax deductible. We drop off the items at the shul during weekday office hours (or on weekends, by appointment). Teams of volunteers then spend the the week before the sale, sorting, tagging, pricing and setting up. Oh, and shmoozing and eating (usually pizza)...can't forget that.
During the sale, the CBI social hall becomes something of a Goodwill annex that attracts hundreds of shoppers and a dozen or more CBI volunteer "employees". Afterward, we break down the tables and racks and any leftover merchandise is donated to the Rescue Mission Thrift store.
Volunteer opportunities abound, and the annual rummage sale is a great way to meet fellow CBIers.
This Year's Sale
Sept. 3rd - 4th, 8am - 4pm
- Co-Chairs: Gail Shulimson, Barb Hall
- Volunteer Coordinator: Caren Kessler (828-693-0897 or firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Drop-off: Jul. 31 - Aug. 31
- Unload Pod: Sun., Aug. 27 (Coffee n bagels)
- Set up: Mon. - Thur., Aug. 28 to 31
- Sale: Sun. & Mon., Sept. 3 & 4, 8am - 4pm.
- Breakdown: Tues., Sept. 5